Sunday, July 4, 2010

Fourth of July

It is the nation's birthday. I heard on the news that a new poll found that 25% of people under the age of 25 did not know who the U.S. fought to gain independence. Seems like US history is getting short shrift in some of our schools. Anyway, Craig, the boys and I went to a Padres game (against the Houston Astros) on Friday. I rooted for the Padres (when in Rome and all that) and they won! There was a spectacular fireworks show after the game (hence the relevance to the first comment of this entry). Tonight Craig has a gig with his band but Kathie and the boys will come over to the condo to watch fireworks from our balcony. There is usually a very good show at the La Costa Resort about 1/4 mile away.

One of the things I like to do here is walk in the Torrey Pines State Preserve. It is on a bluff overlooking the beach. I usually do the walk earlier than I did this year--the earlier the better for wildflowers. However it is always pretty and peaceful. Here is a picture taken this year on my walk to the beach.

This week I will go up to Redlands to visit with Boyd and Helen. That should be fun.

So, I'm keeping pretty busy, and appreciating this place an all that Sally did to make it beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. What a nice surprise to click the website and see that you have been posting pictures and thoughts and sharing updates! It's so wonderful to see your photos of Torrey Pines and the beautiful bird shot... and to know you are able to enjoy some wonderful places with the memories you shared with Sally.
    It sounds like your 4th was a good one. And yes, we are jealous of your heavenly weather! We'll be sure to keep a little muggy heat for your return to Houston!
    Take care, Beth

    ReplyDelete