Wednesday, November 18, 2009

EGD endoscopy done today

Sally had her esophagus, stomach and duodenum examined through an endoscope today. The findings indicated an esophageal stricture at the junction of the stomach and esophagus. There was also inflammation in that region and in the stomach (gastritis). The stricture was dilated with a balloon and biopsies were taken at several sites as well as cultures for Helicobacter Pylori, the bacteria that can cause ulcers, gastritis and stomach cancer. There was no gross evidence of cancer in the stomach. The results of the biopsies will be available tomorrow afternoon.

The procedure itself took less than a half hour. Usually patients are anesthetized or sedated to make the procedure tolerable--but Sally decided she didn't want anesthesia or even sedation since she has gotten ill with anesthesia previously. So she had some numbing of the throat and then the procedure wide awake. The gastroenterologist, Dr. Stein, said she did great and thought that it was quite remarkable. Because there was no sedation, there was no recovery required and Sally could go home immediately after the procedure!! What a trooper.

I will discuss therapy further with Dr. Stein tomorrow, but it will likely be acid reducing therapy that she has recently started on and perhaps antibiotics if the bacterial culture is positive.

All in all a very satisfactory day. Sally wasn't allowed to eat before the procedure but has had some bland food this afternoon after getting home.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Sally and Alan,
    Lorrie shared your blog with me and I just want you to send you some good positive cheery thoughts...I admire you so much Sally...you have to be one tough lady to have this endoscopy wtih no sedation. Good luck today and every day...
    christy and alan cody

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you how frequently I have thought of you the last few days. Yesterday I had my next-to-last Master Gardener Class. This morning I went to the eye dr, and still waiting for my eyes to get back to normal. . Do hope you are having a good day and find the answer to this nausea puzzle. I miss you and keep you in my happy thoughts and prayers. Take care and know that I love you. Please let me know if and when I can do something for you. Val

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear that the nausea is improving, and that Sally can enjoy good food again.
    You are some tough lady to have that endoscopy without sedation. Keep up that toughness!!!
    Will be thinking of you on Tuesday.
    All the best to you both-always
    Liz

    ReplyDelete