Thursday, September 2, 2010

Seattle & Port Ludlow


I spent the last week in Seattle and Port Ludlow seeing old friends. Started in Seattle where Len and Alansa Bates live. Len was a college room mate and has known Sally about as long as I have. We have remained in touch for the past 50+ years and it was a great visit. Seattle was showing off (at least for a while) and Rainier was out in all its glory. Then we all went over to Port Ludlow to see Jimmy and Teresa Goode, Sally's brother and her sister-in-law. This was also great and we feasted on Dungeness crab caught by Jimmy accompanied by some of the best wines I have ever had. We had a couple of toasts to Sally, who would have loved it. We used to live in Seattle 45 years ago when Sally taught elementary school and I was a house officer at Harborview and the UW. So it was all pretty nostalgic, but we all got through it and it helped to be there with others who were so close to Sally.

Getting settled back here in Carlsbad. September should be pretty busy with visits by other friends and Lorrie is coming for a week. Hooray.

A friend sent me this poem:

Loving Memory
I carry you with me into the world
into the smell of rain
& the words that dance between people
& for me, it will always be this way,
walking in the light,
remembering being alive,
together


No comments:

Post a Comment