Monday, January 20, 2014

Everything looking good!

Last Friday I went to see the orthopedic surgeon who had operated on my spine a year ago.  I also wanted to check my chest x-ray to determine whether the pleural effusion that was there a month ago was resorbing.  

First, the spine looks very good and the surgeon does not need to see me again unless I request his help.  The bone grafts in the area of L4-L5 appear to have "taken" and so there is likely a good fusion.  There is no evidence that the titanium screws that hold it all together have loosened.  So should be good for another 76 years or so.

Second, the chest x-ray was perfectly clear and looks normal.  You can still see the crack in the rib but I think everything is progressing fine.  It has been six weeks and there is still some pain in the area of the break, but it is gradually improving.  I can sleep on both sides, at least for a while.  I think for a fracture as bad as this one was, it will probably take another couple of weeks.  But I am happy with the progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment